Monday, May 2, 2011

What is passion?

I have recently been contemplating what passion is and how to find it. To be the best you have to be passionate about whatever it is that you are doing. But the converse however is not necessarily true – to be passionate about what you do doesn’t mean that you will necessarily be the best.

Maybe this has all been a result of my forced break from rock climbing (i.e. a passion of mine) due to my knee operation or maybe just where I am in life and needing to better understand where I want to go, both career wise and also personally? Whatever the reason, I have come to realize that whether your are the best or not in your chosen activity doesn’t necessarily matter because being passionate about something is a personal journey (of course which is great to share with others) as ultimately you are the one that experiences the reward. Even if you aren’t the best, being passionate about what you do should be reward enough; therefore there is no excuse to not do, whatever you enjoy doing, with passion!

Given this, our trip to Italy has been synchronous since passion is found in abundance there; our food pilgrimage to Italy became much more than just a gourmet experience. No matter what Italians do, they seem to strive to do it to the best of their ability, whether cutting hair or making a simple espresso. This holiday was therefore the perfect opportunity to reflect because around every corner I have been exposed to truly passionate people. In the next few posts I intend sharing these experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment